Many need to work on their physical health issues. Some groups need more information than others about their physical health needs, and we are here to get you the information you need. Look for future information about bariatric support groups, heart health, and more.
May is Asthma & Allergy Awareness Month
Here are some facts about asthma and allergies that you may not know:
- Nearly 25 million people living in the United States suffer from asthma.
- Not all types of asthma cause wheezing, so many cases are not diagnosed.
- Approximately ten people die each day from asthma complications.
- Twice as many people suffer from allergies than are diagnosed with asthma.
- There is no cure for asthma or allergies; however, there are effective treatments for both.
- For many, regular exercise which requires deep breathing can help strengthen an asthma sufferers lungs. Before starting any exercise program, however, you should discuss potential problems and risks with your doctor.
- Asthma and allergies often have triggers which are different for each person.
- Many schools do not allow children to carry an inhaler with them, requiring a nurse to administer any form of medical treatment. Learn the policy of your child’s school, and find out what to do if your child is in an activity at which a school nurse is not readily available (such as at sporting practices). For children with asthma, quick action can be a mater of life or death.
Bariatric Support Groups in Indiana
Those of you who had bariatric surgery know that your life has changed, forever. I have heard some people say that you took the easy way out. Many simply don’t understand. You and I both know that those people have no clue about what they are talking about. Surviving bariatric surgery is difficult, but completely changing your life and having to maintain that change after surgery is one of the most difficult things a person can do, physically, mentally, and financially. Life should never be the same as it was, ever again. For that reason, it is advisable to find a good bariatric support system, which includes a support group, medical help, and a friend or two who also live your new experience. Here, we will list some of the support groups which are available in central Indiana and online.
Photo borrowed from the Organized Housewife shows the standard meal (left) and the bariatric meal a year post surgery (right)
American Bariatrics Support Group – Online
American Bariatrics offers an online support group which offers several forms of information, a chat forum, blogs, a link to a place to buy some bariatric-friendly food, news, articles, and other resources. You have to create an account to have full access to all of the resources, but it is worth it… and the account is free of charge.
Central Indiana Bariatric Support Groups
(updated March 19, 2017)
Click above to view the list we made of bariatric support groups in Indiana. If you know of other Bariatric Support Groups in Central Indiana that you would like for me to add to this list, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org with details. I would be happy to add any verifiable group to the list.